|Philip Eisenbeiss only ever had one real ambition: to become an opera singer. But scores of frustrated voice coaches convinced him to abandon this aspiration. Today he is a partner at a leading Hong Kong based executive search firm, where he runs the Wealth Management practice. He started his career in journalism and spent nearly a decade in banking. He was born in Germany and holds degrees in history and international relations from Columbia University.
Philip’s first book Bel Canto Bully: the life and times of the legendary opera impresario Domenico Barbaja (Haus Publishing) has become one of the most talked-about books on opera, to his own and his publisher’s enormous surprise. The Italian version is scheduled for publication in 2015 (EDT Publishing). An eponymous music CD featuring selections from operas commissioned by Barbaja was issued by Naxos Music. Philip is also a Board Director of Opera Hong Kong, the city’s leading opera company and regularly writes and lectures about opera.
Living in Asia for over twenty years, Philip will fly anywhere for a good opera. The airlines love him. He no longer sings.
- October 12th, 2018 Les Huguenots at Bastille Opera
- September 29th, 2018 On the Occasion of the Death of Montserrat Caballé – Spanish Singing School
- August 19th, 2018 A Salome to flummox the Salzburg glitterati
- July 23rd, 2018 A more than luxuriously cast Lucia di Lammermoor: Teatro Real Madrid
- July 21st, 2018 La Gioconda in Berlin: Party like it’s 1974
- July 17th, 2018 Angela Gheorghiu and Teodor Ilincăi – Las Voces del Real at Teatro Real Madrid
- July 14th, 2018 Swanning around: Richard Wagner’s Lohengrin at the Royal Opera House
- May 12th, 2018 The Met gives Tosca the McVicar treatment
- April 6th, 2018 Back to the roots - Naples puts on Rossini’s Mosè in Egitto 200 years after its house debut
- March 29th, 2018 Cav and Pag in Calvin’s home city
- January 23rd, 2018 Hong Kong Philharmonic’s Götterdämmerung: Dawn of a Wagnerian Orchestra
- December 28th, 2017 Cultus interruptus: An unusual Rigoletto at Royal Opera House
- November 19th, 2017 A lusty and lugubrious Lucia di Lammermoor at Royal Opera House
- August 13th, 2017 William Kentridge turns Salzburg’s new Wozzeck into a Gesamtkunstwerk
- August 11th, 2017 Salzburg: Giuseppe Verdi’s Aida by Shirin Neshat
- July 29th, 2017 Feather light and forgettable - Mozart’s Don Giovanni at the Aix-en-Provence Festival 2017
- July 1st, 2017 Paris, Texas & Pearls - Wim Wenders directs Bizet’s Pearl Fishers in Berlin
- June 25th, 2017 Jonas Kaufmann’s Otello at Royal Opera House
- March 18th, 2017 Nearly a Meisterstueck: Kaspar Holten’s Meistersinger von Nuernberg
- March 5th, 2017 Movers and Shakers of the Music World - Bartolomeo Merelli – Eagle of the Impresarios