|Philip Eisenbeiss only ever had one real ambition: to become an opera singer. But scores of frustrated voice coaches convinced him to abandon this aspiration. Today he is a partner at a leading Hong Kong based executive search firm, where he runs the Wealth Management practice. He started his career in journalism and spent nearly a decade in banking. He was born in Germany and holds degrees in history and international relations from Columbia University.
Philip’s first book Bel Canto Bully: the life and times of the legendary opera impresario Domenico Barbaja (Haus Publishing) has become one of the most talked-about books on opera, to his own and his publisher’s enormous surprise. The Italian version is scheduled for publication in 2015 (EDT Publishing). An eponymous music CD featuring selections from operas commissioned by Barbaja was issued by Naxos Music. Philip is also a Board Director of Opera Hong Kong, the city’s leading opera company and regularly writes and lectures about opera.
Living in Asia for over twenty years, Philip will fly anywhere for a good opera. The airlines love him. He no longer sings.
- December 28th, 2017 Cultus interruptus: An unusual Rigoletto at Royal Opera House
- November 19th, 2017 A lusty and lugubrious Lucia di Lammermoor at Royal Opera House
- August 13th, 2017 William Kentridge turns Salzburg’s new Wozzeck into a Gesamtkunstwerk
- August 11th, 2017 Salzburg: Giuseppe Verdi’s Aida by Shirin Neshat
- July 29th, 2017 Feather light and forgettable - Mozart’s Don Giovanni at the Aix-en-Provence Festival 2017
- July 1st, 2017 Paris, Texas & Pearls - Wim Wenders directs Bizet’s Pearl Fishers in Berlin
- June 25th, 2017 Jonas Kaufmann’s Otello at Royal Opera House
- March 18th, 2017 Nearly a Meisterstueck: Kaspar Holten’s Meistersinger von Nuernberg
- March 5th, 2017 Movers and Shakers of the Music World - Bartolomeo Merelli – Eagle of the Impresarios
- February 9th, 2017 Siegfried: Year Three of a Musical Marathon
- February 2nd, 2017 Don Carlo at La Scala: Men in charge
- January 8th, 2017 Musical Giants of the 20th Century: Spinto Tenor
- November 27th, 2016 Movers and Shakers of Music World - The God among Impresarios: Alessandro Lanari (1787-1852)
- November 20th, 2016 Musical Giants of the 20th Century: Opera Voices
- October 15th, 2016 Cutting through the crosses: Yoncheva brings London’s Norma to life
- September 7th, 2016 Pesaro 2016 – Living for and living off Rossini
- June 18th, 2016 Movers and Shakers of Music World - Sir Rudolf Bing
- May 15th, 2016 Movers and Shakers of Music World - Domenico Barbaja – the first of the great opera impresarios
- February 2nd, 2016 Hoyotoho to the Hong Kong Philharmonic: Die Walküre
- January 8th, 2016 Sizzling Sicilian Sagas - Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci at the Royal Opera House